Stainless steel goniometer has two opposing scales marked in 1° increments. Tension between the arms is controlled by the thumb knob.
Stainless steel goniometer are autoclavable.
Best and latest method is by GAMMA IRRADIATION.
Before placing goniometers for this procedure in any autoclave machine, every single
goniometer should be packed in proper sterilization pouch which must be
compatible with the selected procedure.
Our general instruction manual for surgical instruments are:
1. Clean instruments thoroughly before placing into sterilization
2. Do not allow instruments to remain in water or steam moisture for long periods
3. Keep instruments away from strong minerals and acids
4. Stainless steel instruments should not be mixed with chrome plated instruments when sterilization is performed
5. Do not sterilize instruments with solutions containing chlorides
6. Do not expose instruments to sterilization temperatures above 350f (177c)
7. Hot air sterilization temps should be done between 356f – 392f (180c – 200c)
8. Saturated water steam sterilization should be done at 273f (134c)
9. Sterilization solution must have a pH near 7
10. Use deionized water for sterilization and cleaning