The international group of companies 3B Scientific specializes in the manufacturing and marketing of didactic material for scientific, medical and patient education. The group’s oldest site in Budapest/Hungary began its manufacturing history in 1819, making 3B Scientific the most experienced group of companies in the industry. The mother company was founded 1948 in Hamburg by the 3 Bs: Mr. Paul Binhold, his wife Hedwig Binhold and their daughter Marion Binhold, now Marion Kurland.
The brand name 3B Scientific® is represented in over 100 countries worldwide in the medical and educational sector. Achieving constantly growing sales, the 3B Scientific group is the worldwide leader in the anatomy market today. The essential factors for the steadily increasing success are:
- The excellent quality of the products, manufactured by skilled and specially trained personnel
- The extremely competitive value of 3B Scientific® Products
- The uncompromising flexibility of processing customer requirements
That is what 3B stands for today: Best quality, Best value, Best service!
As a recognition of its worldwide success, 3B Scientific (respectively the former Paul Binhold Company) has been selected as a member of the German ”Hidden Champions”. All members of this small group of particularly successful medium sized companies follow a strict pattern of implementing their global strategies, thus becoming leaders in their respective lines of business.
The 3B Scientific® Product Line includes:
- Artificial skeletons, torsos and human organ models
- Teaching aids and systems from the fields of physics and technology
- Injection training arms, patient care mannequins & medical simulators
- Biology, zoology and chemistry models
- Anatomical charts and ana(c)omical gift items
- Anatomical teaching and learning software
- SEIRIN® and Moxa Acupuncture Needles
- Laser Pen, Laser Shower
- Kinesiology Tape & Acu Tape
- Therapy & Fitness products
- Massage & Treatment tables
3B customers include universities, schools, ministries of health and education, other health and educational authorities, hospitals, practitioners, educational and medical distributors, students and the pharmaceutical industry. A regularly updated and further developed web site www.3bscientific.com was established in 1996 so the customer can purchase products and get the latest information on the company and its products around the clock.
The 3B Scientific Companies Worldwide
- 3B Scientific GmbH, Germany
- 3B Scientific Hamburg (founded 1948 as Paul Binhold Lehrmittelfabrik)
- 3B Scientific Dresden (established 1930 as teaching aid department of the Deutsche Hygiene Museum, acquired 1991)
- 3B Scientific Coburg (founded 1997)
- 3B Scientific Wesseling (founded 2001)
- 3B Scientific Europe Kft. former known as “Biocalderoni”, Budapest, Hungary (since 1819 Calderoni, acquired 1993)
- American 3B Scientific, Atlanta/GA, USA (founded 1995)
- Nihon 3B Scientific, Niigata, Japan (founded 1997)
- France 3B Scientific, Bartenheim, France (founded 1997)
- Suzhou 3B Scientific, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China (founded 1999)
- Italia 3B Scientific, Ozzano dell’Emilia, Bologna, Italy (founded 2002)
- España 3B Scientific, Paterna, Valencia, Spain (founded 2003)
- United Kingdom 3B Scientific, Weston-super-Mare, UK (founded 2003)
- ELWE Didactic GmbH, Klingenthal, Germany (since 1959, acquired 2004)
- TELTRON / London, UK, acquired June 2005
- Russia 3B Scientific, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation (founded 2005)
- Brasil 3B Scientific, Joinville, Brasil (founded 2006)
- Thai 3B Scientific, Bangkok, Thailand (founded 2007)
- 3B Scientific Korea, Yongin, South Korea (founded 2012)
- 3B Scientific TR, Istanbul, Turkey (founded 2012)
The affiliates are either distributing or manufacturing companies. All product development is carried out exclusively in Germany. The outstanding quality standards upheld in every product that carries the brand name 3B Scientific® is guaranteed by permanent and uncompromising quality controls.
3B Scientific has been certified in accordance with DIN EN ISO 9001 since 2000 and recertified in 2009.
Since 2004 3B Scientific is an original member of the Worlddidac Quality Charter. Please click here for the certificates.
The company has two managing directors, Mr. Otto H. Gies and Mr. Manfred Kurland. The main duties of Otto H. Gies are marketing, sales and global growth strategies. Manfred Kurland is mainly responsible for administration and production. Together they live the company slogan “…going one step further”.
Since the late ‘80s Mr. Gies has systematically developed global sales strategies. He has successfully entered the south-east Asian markets for 3B Scientific, especially Japan. One of the keys to his success is his ability to adapt to different cultures very quickly. For this reason he takes care of the founding of affiliated 3B Scientific companies all over the world. Due to his knowledge and experience in controlling and finance Otto H. Gies is also responsible for the administration and success evaluation of the foreign investments.
Mr. Kurland’s strengths lie in detailed project and financial planning, rationalization of production and lean cost management. Cost is being constantly cut leading the company towards higher efficiency levels. His biggest project is the constant improvement in the quality of 3B Scientific® Products. Mr. Kurland has successfully introduced Total Quality Management and as a result of which 3B Scientific is now certified under DIN EN ISO 9001. Due to his striving for quality improvement 3B Scientific® Products in many sectors are now no. 1 in the world. The rationalization of production in Germany and the steady transfer of production into counties with lower production costs have allowed 3B to achieve its very strong competitive position in the world market.
The personalities of the two managing directors complement each other perfectly, creating a role model for team work in the company group. For the company it is important to have different types of character, personality, nationality and culture in its workforce. Being “different” is considered to enrich and complement the company culture.
People at 3B Scientific work together in an open and friendly way, with the staff referring to each other by everybody’s first name. Many personal friendships, including those with 3B Scientifics’ affiliated companies, contribute to a swift interchange of information.
Clear management guidelines, goals and values on the one hand and a participating style of leadership in implementing daily business on the other hand help staff identify with the company goals to be achieved. This modern style of leadership ensures a participating and cooperating working attitude that is standard in all 3B Scientific companies thus contributing to a high motivation of staff. Since controversies are carried out in a creative and open atmosphere, it is natural that the staff influences all major management decisions. Everybody in the company follows the common goal:
„To be and keep being No. 1 in the world”
The international workforce, who expresses high identification with the company’s goals and philosophy of flexible and friendly service, consists of around 800 people of which ca. 260 are based in Hamburg.
Apart from staff motivation, reinforcement of innovative activities and profit making, 3B Scientific’ s main goals are to provide high-quality 3B Scientific® Products at fair prices, excellent customer service & after sales support (3B: Best Quality, Best Value, Best Service). Another main goal is the coordination of marketing strategies in view of different countries and the requirements of individual customers. Thus, a 3B Scientific® Catalog is available in 15 languages including major Asian languages such as Japanese or Chinese. These are worldwide goals which have lead to the fact that 3B Scientific enjoys high market shares all over the world. About 90 % of the group sales are made outside of Germany.
3B Scientific now can look back on successful years and steady growth. Customers, suppliers, employees and the management of 3B Scientific are convinced that the company group will keep on moving forward in the future according to the company slogan “...going one step further”.
Hamburg/Germany, January 2013